Enjoy the taste of the tropics – the Thai “Som Tam” Salad made with green papaya and or green mango is FRESH, SWEET & SOUR, SPICY and CRUNCHY, it is fun to eat and good for your health on top!
It is ideal for sailors as you get the ingredients almost everywhere in the tropics, they are cheap and they keep well on board. And for all at home it is a great way to create a taste and feeling of the tropics!
The basic ingredients – green (actually not ripe) fruits and vegetables:
- 1 green papaya and/or green mango, peeled and cut in julienne stripes geschält (see video)
in addition or alternativly possible are christophene (“Chayote”- available from the carribean, the Pacific and Asia), cabbage turnip, cucumber or celery
- 1 carrot peeled and cut in stripes (optionally)
- 1 tomato, cut in slices (optionalyl)
- 4-5 green long beans, cut in pieces of 2 cm (optionally and can be substituted by normal cooked green beans, but less crunchy)
The ingredients bringing the taste:
- 1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1-2 limes, squeezed out
- 1 red chili, cut in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (alternativly brown or normal sugar), ideally dissolved with a bit of water
- 1-2 tablespoon fish sauce
The last kick on top:
- 1 cup of peanuts, roasted
- small dried shrimps (for who likes it, I don’t)
Peel the papaya and/or mango and make thin julienne stripes with a special tool or with th knife (see video and attention – do not cut your hand! Peel the carot and other alternative vegetables and also make fine julienne stripes. Mix everthing except long beans, peanuts and shrimps and if you have pound everything with a mortar (ideally larger than the one I use in the video) then add the long beans, mix again and garnish with roasted peanuts and small shrimps (if you really like them)
The Thai Papaya Mango Salad goes well with Stirfried noodles (Malay: Char Koey Teow or Thai: Pad Thai) and Spicy Minced Beef Salad (Thai: Laab)
Tip: I always cut several chilis and store them in fish sauce together with garlic (Thai: Prik Nam Pla), it keeps several weeks and I don’t have to cut chili everytime I need it.
Video Thai Papaya Mango Salat
And here again the while description in the video
When you like the recipe, pin it on Pinterest: